The "Real Woman's" Workout
When you're busy with a growing family, it's hard to fit in fitness. But that may be because you are overlooking many opportunities right in front of you. Mother of four, Carrie Myers Smith, explains how you can get fit by doing ordinary things.
Printed with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research
1 small head cauliflower, chopped into large florets (about 4 cups) 1/4 cup hot water 2 tsp. canola oil 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds 2 Tbsp. fresh gingerroot, minced 1/2 tsp. turmeric 2 tsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro (coriander) finely chopped Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Have chopped cauliflower, hot water, oil and spices near stove, ready to use.
2. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat about 30 seconds. Add oil and heat another 30 seconds. Add cumin and sauté just until the seeds turn brown, about 10 to 20 seconds. Add ginger and stir briefly. Add turmeric and stir to mix, then add cauliflower and stir to distribute spices evenly on cauliflower.
3. Add hot water, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the cauliflower is almost tender-crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring gently halfway through cooking.
4. Transfer liquid in skillet to a small pan and heat to a simmer. Cook gently to reduce amount by half. Meanwhile, increase heat under cauliflower to high and gently stir-fry to lightly brown cauliflower (about 5 minutes).
5. Add lemon juice and chopped cilantro to pan of reduced liquid, mix to blend and heat through. Add to cauliflower, gently stirring to evenly distribute. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve promptly.
Makes 4 servings.
The American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) is the cancer charity that fosters research on diet and cancer and educates the public about the results.
You will earn 3BabyPoints!
Member Comments About this Recipe
There are currently no comments on this recipe
Fat: 2.5 g
Sponsors help keep BabyFit free!
Browse thousands of more healthy recipes at our sister site SparkRecipes.com
BabyFit, BabyPoints, BabyPages and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
BABYFIT is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.