A heart-healthy one-dish meal that is made with lean top round beef, lots of vegetables, and a spicy, herb mixture.
1 lb. top round beef
1 tablespoon paprika
1-1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
8 red-skinned potatoes, halved
3 cups finely chopped onion
2 cups beef broth
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 large carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2-1/2-inch strips
2 bunches mustard greens, kale, or turnip greens, stems removed, (1/2 lb. each) coarsely torn
as needed nonstick spray coating
1. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8" thick and 3" wide.
2. Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
3. Spray a large heavy skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat pan over high heat.
4. Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
6. Stir in carrots, lay greens over top, and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
Yield: 6 servings--Serving Size: 7 oz
You will earn 3BabyPoints!
Member Comments About this Recipe
"Poconomom that sounds like a great idea! I'm going to try it as a crock pot recipe and see how my family likes it. What type of greens did you use? I like a mixture, although sometimes I just use Kale." -- MAMASHANNAH
"i turned this into a crock pot recipe and used angus pot roast instead of strips. the meat was tender and very flavorful. substituted beef bulion cubes for the broth and used only fresh garlic. very delicious! it was a different meal and the entire fam enjoyed! accomplanied with just a lettuce and tomato salad and warmed french bread." -- POCONOMOM
BabyFit, BabyPoints, BabyPages and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
BABYFIT is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.