Healthy Beverage Guidelines for Adults
- Consume 12 cups (96 ounces) of fluids per day.
- For an adult on the standard 2,200-calorie diet, no more than 200-300 calories should come from fluids.
- Adults consuming fewer than 2,200 calories should limit calorie-containing beverages even more—to less than 200 calories daily.
When eating a healthy diet, water can meet all of your fluid needs. This is the ideal choice and what BabyFit also encourages!
- Recommended Daily Consumption: At least 2-6 servings (20-50 ounces)
* NOTE: Consume additional water if you limit other beverages or if you are breastfeeding.
- Calories per Serving: 0
Coffee has some limited health benefits, while tea provides a variety of flavonoids and antioxidants. Both contain caffeine, which should be limited to less than 400 milligrams daily (or less than 300 mg for pregnant and breastfeeding women).
- Recommended Daily Tea Consumption: 0-5 servings (0-40 ounces)
- Recommended Daily Coffee Consumption: 0-4 servings (0-32 ounces)
- Calories Provided per Serving: 0
Milk is an important source of calcium, magnesium and potassium. Through fortification, it is also a good source of Vitamin D. Fortified soymilk is a good alternative with many of the same benefits.