If you're having troubling gaining a healthy amount of weight, you may need a referral to see a dietitian in your area for a complete nutritional assessment and evaluation. In addition, try the following tips to help you pack on the right number of pounds.
Tips for Weight Gain:
- Eat 5-6 small, frequent meals each day.
- Drink high-calorie, nutritious liquids if you are not hungry.
- Limit the use of diet, low calorie, low-fat products.
- Have ready-to-eat snacks available to munch on when you feel hungry. Easy to fix snacks include trail mix, pretzels and dip, nuts, dried fruit, crackers and cheese, frozen yogurt and ice cream, pudding, and fruit smoothies.
- When you drink beverages, make certain they are nutrient-rich. Limit diet drinks, tea and coffee. Enjoy juice, milk, smoothies, or milkshakes.
- Try "super-strength milk" for extra calories and protein. Simply mix together 1 quart of milk and 1 cup of instant non-fat dry milk powder. Stir until the dry milk is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Store this beverage in your refrigerator and use it just like regular milk. Makes 1 quart.