The table above is indicative of total weight gain. However, patterns of weight gain are as important as total weight gain. Thus it is important to set goals and monitor your progress during the different trimesters.
Weight Change During the First Trimester
During the first trimester it is normal to have any of the following three outcomes:
- weight maintenance (0 pounds gained)
- a slight weight loss, due to nausea and morning sickness, or
- a slight weight gain of 3-6 pounds.
During the second and third trimester you should follow the guidelines below:
- Underweight women should gain 1-1 1/2 pounds each week.
- Normal weight women should gain an average of 1 pound each week.
- Overweight women should gain 2/3-3/4 pound each week.
- Obese women should gain 1/2 a pound each week. Individual nutrition counseling is encouraged to assure adequate nutrient intake.
Find more information on BMI and pregnancy weight gain recommendations here.